The legacy of the African Women’s Lobby, with its transformative ” AWLs 4 Cs” approach – Communication, Coordination, Collaboration, and Cooperation, is a priceless global asset.
The impact of the African Women’s Lobby endures through its transformative ‘AWLs 4 Cs’ approach – Communication, Coordination, Collaboration, and Cooperation – representing an invaluable global asset. On July 28, 2023, stakeholders situated along the migration route between the Horn of Africa and Europe formally adopted this methodology. The AWLs 4 Cs set a new standard in addressing internally displaced people (IDPs), migration, and human rights. To safeguard this legacy, we pledge unwavering accountability for its responsible use. The African Women’s Lobby’s method of 4 Cs must continue to stand as a beacon of hope, and its principles should guide all in navigating the world’s most pressing challenges.
Background: by African Women’s Lobby (AWL)
On July 4-5, 2023, in Nairobi, Kenya, the African Women’s Lobby (AWL) introduced its 4 Cs approach and guiding principles to the entities situated along the migration route between the Horn of Africa and Europe. At its core, the African Women’s Lobby intricately shaped vital principles that embody an ethos of excellence, aiming to alleviate the challenges faced by IDPs. Empowered by unwavering determination, the AWL diligently advances the dual objectives of promptly addressing immediate IDP needs while simultaneously addressing the root causes of displacement. As a result, on July 28, 2023, the countries along the migration route between the Horn of Africa and Europe adopted the AWL’s approach and guiding principles for durable solutions for internally displaced people (IDPs).
Presented below are some of AWL’s guiding principles:
- Ensuring the 4 Cs – Communication, Coordination, Collaboration, and Cooperation: Promoting the effectiveness of the 4 Cs at all levels and synergy resonates as the cornerstone of a comprehensive approach. Foster symphonies of the 4 Cs amongst governmental agencies, humanitarian bodies, civil society, Diaspora and diverse stakeholders instrumental in IDP responses. Cement 4 Cs mechanisms that consecrate an integrated and holistic pursuit of durable solutions.
- Protection and Basic Needs: Ensure the physical safety and security of IDPs by providing access to not only adequate shelter, sustenance, clean water, healthcare, and education, but also by crafting aegis mechanisms that repel the scourge of violence, exploitation, and prejudice.
- Legal Framework and Human Rights: Develop and enforce laws and policies that protect the rights of IDPs, epitomizing the right to reclaim their abodes, attain reparation for their losses, and avail justice. Infuse national statutes with the luminary ethos of international human rights standards.
- Conflict Resolution, Peacebuilding and Durable Solutions: Address the root causes of displacement by promoting peace, reconciliation, and conflict arbitration. Engineer platforms of dialogue and negotiation, are essential for effacing conflicts and nurturing the camaraderie that binds communities. To attain durable Solutions, Evoke a tapestry of sustainable possibilities, entailing voluntary repatriation, seamless integration, and resettlement. Scrutinize the feasibility and resilience of each recourse within the context’s contours and the preferences of IDPs.
- Socioeconomic Development: Catalyze economic openings and livelihood sustenance, amplifying the self-reliance and perennial equilibrium of IDPs. Invest in infrastructural edifices, job generation, vocational tutelage, and ventures that yield sustenance in realms of reintegration or return.
- Community Engagement and Participation, Elevate IDPs and local communities as stakeholders within the crucible of determinative decisions. Advocate participation, dialogue, and amity to kindle a sense of ownership and endurance vis-à-vis lasting solutions.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: A rhythmic cadence of appraisals perpetually gauges the impetus and efficacy of endeavours geared towards durable solutions. Scrutinize the plight of IDPs, their prerogative to rights and services, and the tenacity of the solutions rendered. Resound the voices and perspectives of IDPs within the choreography of decision-making through astute feedback mechanisms.